Tuesday 29 November 2016

Back to Blackbrick Quick Write


In class we read the beginning of the book, Back to BlackBrick. We then had to carry on the story in a quick write. So, what happened was Grandad had given cosmo a key and he snuck out in the middle of the night to use it. 

The heavy iron gates creaked open, and before me was a sight I didn’t expect to see. A squat black building crouched in front of me, encased by barbed wire. Broken glass littered the ground, having fallen from the smashed windows above. The gloomy moonlight filtered through the clouds, illuminating the strangely intact front door. As I took a step closer, the smell of death hit me like a forcefield and I stumbled back. Holding my nose, I started forward again and the icy air surrounded me, tugging at my hair and clothes like frosty fingers.

Eventually, I reached the front door and gingerly placed a foot on the step. All at once, the heavy metal key in my hand burst into flames, scalding my hand that had so carefully held my prize. I dropped it, peering around for the source of danger. There was nothing. As I bent down to retrieve the key, I noticed it had something engraved on it. ‘Cosmo’ written in a haunting, floaty script across the handle. ‘OK, this is definitely creeping me out’ I thought.

I reached out and grasped the door knob. As I did so, I heard a piercing scream, and the world around me blurred and dipped, as though I was underwater. I tried to wrench my hand away from it’s place but it wouldn’t budge. The world was dissolving away and the only sound was the haunting whisper of “Cosmo, Cosmo, Cosmo…”

I woke up sweating and shivering in my bed. It was all just a bad dream and now I’m lying safe and sound in my room. Grandad never gave me a key, I never took a taxi to the gates, I never saw that huge ugly building and it’s surroundings. I swung my legs out of bed and stood up. As I did, I felt something in my hand. It was a key.

No comments:

Post a Comment